I was registered under VAT but not under Central Excise. Do I need to apply for new registration?

No. Existing registrants of VAT having valid PAN have been issued Provisional ID and password. If you have not received provisional ID, please contact your tax administration to obtain the same. This Provisional Identity Number (PID) would eventually be your GSTIN, when the migration process is completed.